Thursday, January 19, 2012

Damn

The only reason I knew Sarah was because the Dirty Dooze said that this rad ski girl bought our gear and ran it.  So, she gave me her number and called Sarah to get her address.  We packed her care packys for a couple of years, and she always emailed in a big thanks, very grateful for the goods. 
I told my wife tonight about how Sarah Burke died and she started to tear up.  "29 is too young to die." She looked at me and said, "watch over our boys out there, or I'll kill you." 

Police officers get shot. Pilots crash. Journalists are killed in war zones. Executives expire at their desks. There is risk in everything we do and randomness in that risk, making this life of ours a whirling game of unforeseeable chance where, every so often, the roulette wheel stops spinning and your number unexpectedly comes up.
 “It is what our lives are, being on the hill, and there is a reason for that.  It is where we met, where we play, where we live and hopefully where we will die.” 
  
R.I.P.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:18 AM

    tragic news.
    -j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, I teared up a little too when I heard the news.

    ReplyDelete